Cavities are one of the most common dental issues in both adults and children. Fortunately, they are not inevitable and are preventable. If you should get affected with one, there are steps you can take to restore your oral health. The professionals at Emiles Dental Care are also available to assist the patients of Etobicoke, ON, maintain healthy teeth and gums.
Bacteria live in plaque that collects on the tooth surfaces. They feed off of sugars found in the mouth and produce acids that are harmful to the teeth. Dental cavities, or caries, are tiny holes that form in the teeth as a result of these acids attacking the enamel.
There are several risk factors for cavities, such as dry mouth, eating sticky foods, frequent snacking (especially on sugary foods and drinks), heartburn, bedtime infant feeding, and a lack of oral care practices (brushing and flossing). Once a cavity has penetrated the enamel and has reached the dentin, you will need to visit your dentist at Emiles Dental Care to have it treated with a filling, but if it is in the “pre-cavity” stage, you can take steps to reverse the weakened areas of enamel.
• Sugar-free gum: In clinical trials, chewing sugar-free gum has been shown to help remineralize enamel. Chewing gum also stimulates saliva flow, which helps to clear away debris from the mouth and clean the teeth.
• Vitamin D: This vitamin is important to the body in general as it helps it to absorb calcium and phosphate from the foods we eat. Absorbing calcium from dairy products such as milk and yogurt helps to strengthen the bones, including the teeth.
• Fluoride toothpaste: Fluoride is a mineral that helps to strengthen enamel. We can get it from many foods, but also brushing with a fluoride toothpaste can help to prevent cavities.
• Cut out sugary foods: Because the bacteria in plaque feed on sugars, reducing your sugar intake or cutting it out altogether can really benefit your teeth.
• Oil pulling: This method isn’t supported by evidence, but it is believed that oil pulling – swishing around an oil like sesame or coconut in the mouth for about 20 minutes, then spitting it out – can reduce plaque, gingivitis, and the number of bacteria in the mouth.
• Licorice root: According to at least one study, extract from the Chinese licorice plant can combat the bacteria responsible for dental caries.
You can try these methods to protect your teeth against cavities in addition to the daily recommended practices of brushing and flossing. It is also essential to keep regular appointments to see your dentist in Etobicoke, ON at Emiles Dental Care.